Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Parenthood

I have to admit that parenthood isn't exactly what I expected it to be. It is both more shocking and more wonderful than I imagined in my mind.

I say shocking because it is such an enormous change all at once. There's suddenly a new member of the family, and every decision must factor in the reality that life has been segmented into three-hour blocks of time between feedings. Sleeping and waking patterns change. Thoughts, fears, and priorities change.

But with all of the change comes a sense of wonder that I never imagined before. It is amazing to look into my little Brynna's eyes and realize that I'm her father. It's wonderful to look at my wife and watch how she's so adeptly picking up her new role as a mom.

These are days of great change, but the change is for the better, and we're loving every minute of it.

No comments: